Friday 10 May 2013

Filmhouse Stings - Silly Wizard Finished Film

The Silly Wizard sting is now finished!!

When I emailed Silly Wizard to ask permission to use their music, they asked if I could send them the finished film and also mentioned it was the 25th anniversary of their last ever concert. So, the final film I am showing here has got a little bit added on to the end for Silly Wizard themselves about their anniversary ( the Filmhouse Sting version just ends at the record/vinyl screeching sound - the record/vinyl suggested to me by Claire and Neil, a great idea for ending the clip and music!):



Silly Wizard from Alison MacPherson on Vimeo.

This animation was a lot of fun to do, but also a lot of frames to draw and colour in therefor a bit frustrating at times! I choose to do the animation completely traditionally hand-drawn and each frame coloured with pencils. (To my surprise I found working with Flash on the Hidden Stories project much less frustrating and more enjoyable than working traditionally on this project, even though it was just about as time-consuming and repetitive really. In future it may be nice to try a mix of traditional and digital - drawing a sketched animation on the lightbox, then drawing over it in Flash, that way possibly getting less 'digital' and more fluid looking animation. This would take more time of course, but something to experiment with at some point anyway!). Overall however, I am glad I chose to create the animation in this traditional style; I think it suits the music and it was a good opportunity to use this very traditional style due to the shortness of the animation. This was also my first time using the Rostrum cameras, so that was good. There was quite a bit of trial and error when using the Rostrums and putting the film together, but that was also good - I have learned from it thankfully!

The animation has turned out pretty much how I had hoped. I really enjoyed trying to get the music and the animation working together, and I think that wasn't as difficult as it originally looked, it just took an initial idea of where the beat was in the music and some editing afterwards. 
I would have maybe liked more of the dancing wizard, but that would have meant much more work. But I think it still sort of works as the film is meant to be a 'sting', so short and snappy. I also would like to have added more frames to when my wizard character enters the film - he sort of flies on to the screen at the moment! 
Overall, I found this was another enjoyable project.

~

Also - some awesome news:
Birnam CD, producer of the "Live Again" album that I used in the animation and run by one of the band members of Silly Wizard, has mentioned my animation on their Facebook page, so check it out! > https://www.facebook.com/BirnamCD?hc_location=stream


No comments:

Post a Comment